Medicaid, SNAP, WIC

Pennsylvania Medicaid, SNAP, WIC and Other State Benefits for Pregnant Women

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, & Children (WIC)

WIC helps pregnant women, mothers, and caregivers of infants and young children learn about good nutrition to keep themselves and their families healthy.  It provides nutrition services, breastfeeding support, healthcare and social service referrals, and healthy foods to eligible participants.

Your Cayaba Care Maternity Navigator can assist you in completing the application and can submit the application to WIC electronically. The process only takes about 5 minutes!
Apply electronically here*
*For families residing in Delaware County, there is a WIC referral form that can be used for submission directly to the Delaware County WIC offices for processing. If you need help with this, please give us a call! (267) 668-2256

COMPASS Website for Health Insurance, Food, and Cash Benefits for Pregnant Women

All of the benefits listed below can be applied for via the COMPASS website.
  1. Medical Assistance (Medicaid or MA)
  2. Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  3. Pennsylvania’s Health Insurance Marketplace (Pennie)
Community Legal Services website

Medical Assistance (MA)*

The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services notes that this program provides coverage for:
  1. Pregnant women (coverage for pregnant women can begin as soon as your doctor or nurse informs you that you are pregnant).
  2. Children of low-income families through age 18.
  3. Children are automatically covered up to age one if the mother is eligible for and receiving Medical Assistance on the date of the child's birth and the child continues to live with the mother.
*A note on Medical Assistance for undocumented folks: We understand you may be concerned about applying for government benefits while you are going through the naturalization process. Note that even if you choose not to sign up for Medical Assistance while you are pregnant, when you have your actual delivery, the hospital will apply for medical assistance (Medicaid) on your behalf. We recommend that you apply for Medical Assistance as soon as you find out that you are pregnant.

Step 3: Placement

Depending on your case, a social worker will inquire about your specific situation to determine whether you have the financial ability to pay for alternative housing for the evening, whether you are able to be accommodated by a friend or family member for the night, or whether emergency housing is the best option.

If placed in a shelter:
  1. You will let the staff know of any medication you are prescribed or may need during your stay. It is best to have at least a five-day supply of necessary medications.
  2. You may bring up to two bags of clothing or personal items with you to a shelter

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)

Helps Pennsylvanians buy food. If eligible, households can obtain more nutritious diets with SNAP increasing their food purchasing power at grocery stores and supermarkets. Those who are eligible receive an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) ACCESS Card to make food purchases.

Free or Reduced Price School Meals

Provides low-cost or free school lunches to eligible children.

Cash Assistance

If you have low income and limited resources, you may be able to receive cash assistance through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or General Assistance.

Child Care Works

A subsidized child care program that helps low-income families pay their childcare fees.  The state and federal government fund this program, which is managed by the Early Learning Resource Center (ELRC) office located in your county.  If you meet the guidelines, ELRC will pay a portion of your childcare cost (a subsidy payment); you will pay a portion of the cost (the family co-pay).  Both the subsidy payment and the co-pay go directly to the childcare program.  

**Note:  If your childcare subsidy does not pay the full amount that your childcare program charges, the provider may ask you to pay the difference between the subsidy payment and their private charges.*

Special Circumstances

This federally funded program helps families living on low incomes to pay their heating bills in the form of a cash grant.  Households in immediate danger of being without heat can also qualify for crisis grants.  The cash grant is a one-time payment sent directly to the utility company/fuel provider to be credited on your bill.  These grants range from $200 to $1000 based on household size, income, and fuel type.  This grant does not have to be repaid.